LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Kentuckiana has some pretty bad roads—we all know that, but which road is the worst? You have been voting for the last week and, after nearly 4,000 votes, we have a winner!
You told us that the worst road in Kentuckiana is...Highway 53 in Shelby County!
Here's how the vote turned out:
- Highway 53 - 41%
- Highways 202 & 389 - 29%
- IN-62 Roundabout - 23%
- I-65 in Shepherdsville - 10%
The story doesn't end here. WHAS11's Jessie Cohen spoke to the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet to see what can be done about Highway 53.
According to KYTC, a Highway 53 widening project is part of the cabinet's recommendations in this year's highway plan. If the Kentucky legislature votes on the plan by the end of the session, planning, funding and construction would begin this summer.
While widening has been the main complaint about Highway 53, maintenance to fix any cracks or irregularities in the road would also be included in the construction plan.
If you voted for one of the other roads in the poll - we haven't forgotten about you! Jessie Cohen will continue to talk to the transportation cabinet about finding solutions to the most problematic roads in Kentuckiana.
Here are the top four roads you selected in the Driving Me Crazy competition. You can find a map of the roads here.
- The part of the interstate that runs through Bullitt County has given itself a bad reputation. At some points, drivers cited drops of 3-5 inches, ruining the bottom of your vehicle.
Read more about I-65 here.
- Viewers said they have been trying to get this road widened for some time as continuously patching holes has not solved their problems.
Read more about Highway 53 here.
- Calling this “the roundabout from hell," one viewer said their GPS can’t even figure out the confusion at the IN-62 roundabout. Aside from it’s complex nature, drivers call it an accident waiting to happen.
Read more about the roundabout here.
- People in Henry County said there's not an area on these highways that aren’t rough on your car. One viewer said she has barely missed getting hit head-on because drivers were trying to avoid potholes.
Read more about Highways 202 and 389 here.
Voting is now closed.
Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the WHAS11 News app now.