LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) – A new historical marker now sits on Saint Andrews Church Road at Doss High School, paying tribute to a family that dates back centuries.
The area was once known as Wisertown, established by the Wiser family in 1817.
The marker was presented and unveiled Sunday by the Wiser family, Doss Principal Tom Stockwell and Metro Councilman David Yates.
What was once the 500-acre Wiser farm is now the location of Doss High School and Trunnell Elementary.
John and Luzanna Wiser built their home where Doss now stands in 1838. It was torn down in 1966 to make way for the schools.
The intersection of Dixie Highway and St. Andrew’s Church Road once had a post office, hotel and train depot.
The Wiser family built St. Andrew's Church which was eventually given to the Catholic church.