Breaking News
More () »

'Everyone has just been so kind': Jones family member thanks Louisville for support after crash

Hunter said this is something unimaginable that happened to his family but said the one silver lining in all of this is how supportive Louisville has been.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Ava and Amy Jones, who were hit by a driver that police say was under the influence of hydrocodone, are making progress in the hospital. 

UofL Health said they are now in fair condition rather than serious.

Trey Jones, Amy's husband and Ava's father, died from his injuries related to the accident.

The suspect, Michael Hurley, was seen in court Thursday. He is charged with murder, assault and driving under the influence of a substance.

Hunter Jones, 21, said this is something unimaginable that has happened to his family but is thankful for how supportive Louisville continues to be for them.

"If it were to happen anywhere, I'm happy for it to happen here in this town, because everyone here has been just amazing in taking care of mom and Ava," Jones said.

RELATED: Memorial honors Kansas father hit by car in downtown Louisville

Jones said he was in shock after he heard his family had been hit by a car in downtown Louisville, and to hear that his parents and sister were in critical condition after the accident.

He said Amy and Ava still have a long road ahead of them, but that improvements are happening daily.

"Mom knows we're there for sure and I mean, by the looks Ava was giving me after I was making her mad, she knew I was there," Jones said.

However, he said Ava's journey is proving to be a longer road than their mother's.

"Ava took some pretty bad brain damage, a little bit worse than my mom," he said.

Jones said he's trying not to focus on his anger but said it's unfortunate to know Hurley's past.

"He clearly has had other problems before this, with issues that are about the same," he said. "I can't imagine if this happened to another family in the way it did to us."

For now, Jones said he and other family members have extended their stay in Louisville until the end of July.

However, he's found comfort in the support they have received so far.

Credit: WHAS-TV
A memorial left for Trey Jones who was hit by a car as he and his family were standing on the sidewalk on 2nd and West Market Street on July 5. He died from his injuries two days later.

"Everyone has just been so kind and taking care of my family at the hospital and taking care of my family, even here at the hotel," Jones said.

He noted the whole situation has done something special for his relationships moving forward.

"It's kind of one of those things that I would have never hung out with my family the way I did, like, have in the past couple of days if this wasn't to happen," Jones said.

For now, Jones said they have a long road ahead of them, but said they aren't losing any hope.

"You know it's all about them, and just getting them better," said Jones.

One thing Jones said is he hasn't told them that Trey had passed away. He said he and his little brother are still processing it, but that will be the next battle they face.

Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the WHAS11 News app now. For Apple or Android users.

Have a news tip? Email assign@whas11.com, visit our Facebook page or Twitter feed.

Before You Leave, Check This Out