JEFFERSONVILLE, Ind. — UPDATE: The Jeffersonville Fire Department confirmed that the house fire was caused by exposed wiring from an electrical cord, plugged into a space heater.

Firefighters determined a pinched wire, with exposed wiring, underneath a couch in the basement arced onto a piece of metal, igniting the fire.

An 83-year-old man was found dead inside the bedroom of a house that caught fire on Allison in Jeffersonville, Ind. on Jan. 4.

A dog was also found dead in the basement of the house.

Officials believe the fire started in the basement and it is not clear if smoke detectors were working.

The fire was reported around 5:15 a.m. by a paper delivery guy who saw smoke.