Breaking News
More () »

Former LMPD officer sentenced in shooting outside David McAtee's restaurant

Katie Crews previously pleaded guilty to using excessive force, admitting to shooting McAtee's niece with pepper balls the night he was killed.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — A former Louisville Metro Police officer who pleaded guilty to using excessive force during the Breonna Taylor protests won't see any jail time. 

Katie Crews, 29, was federally charged due to her part in escalating a conflict the night restaurant owner David McAtee was shot and killed.

In court Monday, U.S. District Court Judge Benjamin Beaton said he "reluctantly" agreed to a probation sentence for Crews' misdemeanor charge. He called probation "the best of our bad options." 

Prosecutors had suggested a sentence of one year probation and 100 hours of community service. 

Beaton instead issued a harsher sentence of two years probation, 200 hours of community service and a $5,000 fine. 

While Crews didn't shoot McAtee, prosecutors say she started the chain of events by firing pepper balls toward his restaurant. 

McAtee's niece was hit by those pepper balls which prompted McAtee to shoot out his doorway. He was shot and killed by a member of the state National Guard.

Monday, defense attorney Steve Schroering said Crews had dedicated her life to service and didn't have any disciplinary issues before the night of McAtee's death.

Beaton asked Schroering about a Facebook post and text messages, described in court documents, that Crews made about the 2020 protests. Schroering said the comments were in response to the stress of the situation. 

Monday, prosecutors said the victim's family and attorneys were on board with the decision and wouldn't be submitting a victim impact statement.

Crews herself didn't speak in court. 

As part of the plea agreement, she also agreed not to seek employment as a law enforcement officer again.

It comes as the McAtee family's attorney, Steve Romines, said the family has also settled its separate wrongful death lawsuit against LMPD and the Kentucky National Guard.

"The family wanted to put all litigation behind them, both for themselves and the city that David loved," Romines said in a statement. "Ms. Odessa is 89-years-old and had no desire to litigate for another five years."

Romines confirmed the settlement was for $725,000.

Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the WHAS11 News app now. For Apple or Android users.

Have a news tip? Email assign@whas11.com, visit our Facebook page or Twitter feed.

Before You Leave, Check This Out