Breaking News
More () »

Louisville Metro shuts down Dino's Food Mart

In a letter to property owners, the city cites more than 1,000 police runs at Dino's in the last two years.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Metro Government has shut down Dino's Food Mart, with the Department of Codes and Regulations citing it as a public nuisance and ordering the owners to vacate the property.

In a letter to property owners SHM 2601 LLC, the city cites more than 1,000 police runs at Dino's in the last two years. Since it was first cited as a public nuisance in July 24, Louisville Metro said there has been an assault and arrest for synthetic drug possession at the store.

"If they ran their store the way they should run their store, this wouldn't be a problem, but they're not running their store the way they should run the store and they still have time to clean up their act," Louisville Metro Council President David James said.

Ashley Elliott lives nearby and wants the store to remain open. She said she has never had a bad experience at the store.

"They are friendly, they are very friendly. When you go in there they speak to you like, 'Hey, neighbor,'" Elliott said.

The property owners can appeal the citation with the Louisville Metro Code Enforcement Board. If they choose not to appeal, they must pay a $400 penalty and remove the nuisance. 

"Should the Public Nuisance not be abated, the Department of Codes and Regulations shall be authorized at any time to issue additional civil penalties," the citation says. "Each day that a violation continues after a notice has been issued shall be deemed a separate offense."

The store was previously the scene LMPD officers, National Guardsmen and Kentucky State Police were sent to to break up a large crowd June 1. During the clear out, Louisville barbecue owner David McAtee was shot and killed. McAtee's death came just three days after protests began over the Breonna Taylor case.

KSP independently investigated McAtee's death, confirming McAtee was killed by a bullet from the gun of a Kentucky National Guardsman. J. Michael Brown, secretary of Gov. Andy Beshear’s executive staff, said McAtee did have a gun during the incident and had gunshot residue on his hands. 

The findings have been turned over to the Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney for review. It has also been sent to the FBI who is conducting their own independent investigation.

RELATED: Kentucky State Police's investigation 'substantially complete' into fatal shooting of David McAtee

RELATED: Fire at Dino's Food Mart started by Molotov cocktail, LMPD says

►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the WHAS11 News app now. For Apple or Android users.  

Have a news tip? Email assign@whas11.com, visit our Facebook page or Twitter feed.