x
Breaking News
More (0) »

Louisville's Leading Local News: Weather, Traffic, Sports and more | Louisville, Kentucky | WHAS11.com

10 people safe after escaping house fire caused by burning candle

The Louisville Fire Department responded to the fire on Earl Avenue just before 6 a.m. on Friday. No one was hurt during the fire.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — An early-morning house fire in the Taylor-Berry neighborhood left 10 people without a home on Valentine's Day. Officials said the fire was caused by a candle that was burning in a bedroom.

According to Battalion Chief Bobby Cooper, the Louisville Fire Department responded to a house fire in the 1300 block of Earl Avenue just before 6 a.m. on Feb. 14. When crews arrived, they found heavy smoke and fire in the home.

The 25 firefighters were able to get the fire under control in about 20 minutes.

Credit: Louisville Fire Department

The 10 residents in the home, 3 adults and 7 children, were able to escape safely before the fire department arrived. They were alerted by their smoke detectors.

Louisville Fire determined that the fire was caused by a lit candle that ignited other items in a bedroom. No one was hurt in the fire and the Kentuckiana Red Cross is helping the displaced residents.

Chief Cooper stressed that smoke detectors save lives. If you don't have a smoke detector, you can call 311 to request one for free.

RELATED: 5-year-old pulls sister through window to safety, rescues family from house fire

RELATED: Louisville Fire educates high school students about staying safe in the kitchen

Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the WHAS11 News app now. For Apple or Android users.

Have a news tip? Email assign@whas11.com, visit our Facebook page or Twitter feed.