(WHAS11) -- With the recent tornadoes in Kentucky and Southeastern Indiana many folks are now repairing and rebuilding.
Unfortunately, scammers will take this opportunity to take advantage of those who are already suffering.
Good Morning Kentuckian’s Andy Treinen shares some tips for you and what to watch out for when consumer watch.
If you have damaged or destroyed property the last thing you need is some unscrupulous person coming in and adding to your problems.
Before you contract with anyone soliciting repair work follow these tips from the Indiana Attorney General’s Office.
- Ask for references from former clients and then call or visit those references.
- Don' let the person pressure or intimidate you into the work.
- Call the better business bureau for their file on the company
- And compare the quote to other businesses that you know are legit.
- And always get a written contract outlining exactly what will be done, how much it will cost and how long it will take.
Another good tip – even though you home may b destroyed, never pay up front.
While there are legitimate businesses that come to your home to solicit work, consumers should always research that business before allowing any work to be done.
Visit our Kentuckiana Tornado section for the latest photos, stories, news and info on how you can help after Friday's storms.