LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Louisville Metro Community Action Partnership) -- The annual Low Income Heating Assistance Program helps prevent disconnection from utility services for low income residents of Louisville begins Wed., Jan. 4 and runs through March 31 or until available funds are expended.
Residents who want to apply must have an appointment. Appointments must be scheduled in person, Dec. 28-30, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Central CAP Office located at the Urban Government Center, 810 Barret Ave.
Applicants must be Jefferson County residents with a household income at or below 130% of the federal poverty guidelines (e.g. for a household of four, the gross monthly income cannot exceed $2,422). For the crisis phase, applicants must have received a brown, disconnection notice from their utility service provider, or an eviction notice if their utilities are included in the rent.
The following documentation must be presented when scheduling an appointment:
- Picture ID
- Most recent LG&E bill (must be a brown bill), or an eviction notice if utilities are included in the rent.
Starting Jan. 4, appointments will be issued at all three CAP offices listed below on weekdays 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. based on funding and appointment availability. Upon registering for an appointment, residents will receive an appointment slip verifying the appointment date, time and location.
Central Office -- Urban Government Center, 810 Barret Avenue, Room 127, 40204; 502-574-1157
East Office -- Newburg Community Center, 4810 Exeter Avenue, 40218; 502-574-1270
South Office -- Southwest Government Center, 7219 Dixie Highway, 40272; 502-574-1272
The following documents must be presented at the time of the LIHEAP appointment:
- Picture ID for head of household
- Proof of all household income (all members) for the preceding month (food stamp award letter, Social Security award letter, pay stubs, etc.).
- All individuals 18 or over in the household with no income - and who do not receive food stamps -- must have a Proof of no Income form completed prior to applying for benefits - forms are available at the CAP office at 810 Barret or at www.louisvilleky.gov/cap.
- Social Security card(s) or official documentation with social security numbers or Permanent Resident Card Numbers for everyone living in the household.
- Most recent heating bill or verification from landlord that heating expenses are included in the rent (i.e. lease agreements).
Individuals who are unable to apply for this program in person may send a representative on their behalf with a note including the applicant's signature and phone number. Call MetroCall at 311 for more details on how this process works. Residents who are home-bound ,which means a medical professional can verify they are confined to the home,and are unable to send a representative, may call 502-574-1274.
LG&E reminds customers that it is their responsibility to make arrangements to ensure continued service. Please contact LG&E's customer service office at 502-589-1444 if you cannot make a payment in full and need to set up payment arrangements.