LOUISVILLE, Ky.—Kentuckiana is celebrating Independence Day but officials are concerned about dangers from fireworks that could spark fires in these dry conditions.
Okolona Fire Marshall Mike Allendorf says the ignition temperature of dry, crunchy gas is about 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
“Your typical spark is about 1200 degrees. It’s not hard to start a fire in dried out grass,” Allendorf said.
In Metro Louisville, only ground fireworks are permitted, in hopes to minimize accidental fires.
“You shoot that bottle rocket, you could hit my property, someone else’s property, and start a car fire or a house fire,” Allendorf said.
The fire marshall says out of the 52 injuries reported in Louisville last year, 29 were children. Sparklers were the main cause for visits to the emergency room.
The rules are there to keep the fun in fireworks.
“Be wise and use good judgement,” Allendorf said. “We want you to go see the professionals, but if you don’t, make sure you have a large supply of water readily available.”