Fire chief: Electrical malfunction causes fire at Legacy Apartments

Print
Email
|

by Brittany Gonzalez

WHAS11.com

Posted on October 29, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Updated Tuesday, Oct 29 at 4:40 PM

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) -- Residents returned to the Legacy Apartments to see what they could salvage after a fire Monday night left multiple families displaced at the Legacy Apartments just south of Iroquois Park.

According to Fairdale Fire Chief Don Wittry, the cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction involving an old air conditioning unit. The AC unit is actually located in between the ceiling of the second floor unit ant the floor of the third floor unit.  The fire then spread through the walls between the apartments. Charles Cottrell lives where the fire started and said about a month ago a maintenance worker came to fix the AC unit because water was dripping from it.

Wittry said this latest fire is the fourth major fire the complex has had in the last five years. According to Wittry, the Fairdale Fire Department has made 56 runs to the complex in the last five years and 31 of those runs were fire related.  However, Whittry said there does not seem to be a common factor between the fires.

On Tuesday the state fire marshal stopped by the complex because a privately owned fire hydrant malfunctioned while crews tried to pump water from it.  According to the property manager, she was unaware the fire hydrant was privately owned and needed to be maintained by law annually by the complex.  The manger said in the two years she has worked at the complex she has never had the hydrant tested. The complex does face a fine depending on the outcome of the fire marshal’s inspection.

The six units that were damaged are considered a total loss according to the assistant property manager at the apartment complex. The displaced victims are being helped by the Red Cross. No one was injured in the fire.
 

Print
Email
|