Officials: Boy safe, abductor dead after standoff

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press

WHAS11.com

Posted on February 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Updated Tuesday, Feb 5 at 12:19 AM

MIDLAND CITY, Ala. (AP) -- A law enforcement official says a 5-year-old has been safely released after a week-long standoff between police and the boy's abductor.
 
The law enforcement official briefed on the situation said Monday that Jim Dykes, the man who abducted the boy from a school bus after fatally shooting the bus driver, is dead. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to discuss the situation.
 
Earlier Monday, officials had said they had been sending food and medicine to Dykes and the boy in the bunker.
 
The boy has Asperger's syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

Officials say they stormed a bunker in Alabama to rescue the boy after his abductor was seen with a gun.
 
Steve Richardson with the FBI's office in Mobile said at a news conference Monday afternoon that negotiations deteriorated and that 65-year-old Jimmy Lee Dykes had been seen with a gun.
 
At that, officers believed the child was in imminent danger. Officers entered the bunker just after 3 p.m. CST.
 
It was not immediately clear how Dykes died.

Print
Email
|