LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) -- Kenneth Pearson and Jayde Haskins described jumping with Haskins' 2 year-old and 3-year old children from the second story after climbing out the window upon learning of the fire from Haskins' brother, who rushed up the stairs.
Her brother and a pregnant woman got out from the first floor. The family said the brother's space heater was plugged into an electrical outlet which was the source of the fire.
Six people in all escaped a house fire Tuesday morning in West Louisville.
“The whole house was engulfed in smoke,” Shon Howard said. “The fire was really bad downstairs.
Four adults and two children were inside the burning house at 28th Street and Woodland Avenue . Shon Howard saw the fire from a block down 28th Street and ran over to help the people inside.
“They came out the window and I said, ‘Jump down,” Howard said. “So I told them to drop the kids down first. Then we got the man and the lady down.”
Fire officials say there was heavy smoke and fire consuming the home when emergency crews arrived around 8:30 Tuesday morning.
Howard and four other bystanders helped the six people get out of the home before firefighters came to the scene.
Officials say the fire started in the front bedroom on the first floor, possibly because of a space heater. They also say there were working smoke detectors inside the home.
The situation could have much different if the five bystanders were not there to help a stranger in need.
“It would have been bad because he [the victim] said one of the guys in the house did not even know the house was on fire,” Howard said. “When he realized that the smoke detector was going off, the whole downstairs was in flames. Once everybody got out, that is when it seemed like the whole house just went up [in flames].”
Three adults were taken to an area hospital to be treated for minor smoke inhalation. The children are now with their grandparents.