LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) -- With it beginning to look a lot like Christmas that means many items in the home that look festive could present hazards.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates more than 15,000 injuries related to holiday decorating occurred in November and December in 2012. That's an increase for the fourth consecutive year.
The most common injuries: falls from ladders, cuts, lacerations and back strains. Another potentially deadly holiday hazard is fires, related to unattended candles and Christmas trees that can ignite in seconds, as the CPSC demonstrated in 2012; with live trees--freshness is key.
“The needles should not easily detach. They should be able to bend between your fingers. And when you bring that fresh tree home, make sure you keep it well-watered and away from heat sources,” Kim Dulic, CPSC spokesperson, said.
Both indoor and outdoor lights and wiring should be checked before you deck the halls, and periodically throughout the season.
“You want to make sure there is no damage to the light sets. Look for broken bulbs, look for exposed sockets, or bare wires, and if you find damage, discard that set, and start with a new one,” Dulic said.
And bright shiny objects can be magnets for young children and pets.
Small decorations that can be swallowed and glass ornaments that can shatter and lead to cuts, should be kept out of the reach of kids.
If you have a consumer tip for Andy send him an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.