TAYLORSVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) -- A blue-green algae that produces a toxin is growing in Taylorsville Lake approaching levels that could make some people and their pets sick.
Federal and state health officials are advising the public of potential health risks associated with swimming in or drinking the lake water and using it to water pets or livestock.
This is the first time this type of harmful algae has been detected in Kentucky. The lake is open for recreation but people should be aware of potential risks.
If you are overexposed to the algae symptoms include stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, skin and eye irritation or breathing difficulties.