LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) -- One of the fires sparked by lightning Wednesday caused a ceiling to cave in on an apartment building.
It happened around 5 p.m. at the complex on Brockton Lane, bordering Taylorsville Road and the Watterson Expressway.
Of the 17 units being rented, just four people were inside according to firefighters.
The blaze began in the attic and tenants began to see flames and smoke fill the hallways.
It took about 40 firefighters more than an hour to contain the blaze.
One firefighter was hurt and left on a stretcher but is expected to be OK. He was seen conscious, sitting up, and breathing with the aid of an oxygen tank.
No one else was hurt but some said they have nothing left. Firefighters salvaged about half the building, and some residents reported no damage.
Two dogs and an African Gray Parrot got out unscathed.
Local charities provided 11 affected tenants in nine apartments with four nights in local hotels along with food and clothing.