JEFFERSONVILLE, Ind. (WHAS11) -- There have been reports of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones exploding and catching fire across the country and even the world. Last week, it happened in Kentuckiana.
“I was actually just sitting at my desk at work and it pretty much exploded,” said Mareno Greenwade who lives in Jeffersonville, IN.
Now, all that’s left of Greenwade's Samsung Galaxy Note 7 are burn marks and a crispy case.
“It sounded like it burst and then there was smoke everywhere and then fire popping out of the side of it,” said Greenwade.
It exploded last Friday, catching fire because of a faulty battery. Greenwade was at work and was too shocked to react.
“I was pretty stunned I actually didn't even do anything one of my coworkers grabbed the phone and ran it outside so it didn't set off the fire alarm,” said Greenwade.
Samsung recently announced a voluntary recall of 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7's worldwide, just two weeks after the phones were rolled out. Greenwade said he heard about the recall but didn't act fast enough.
“I was actually going to replace it the next day but I didn't make it. I didn't expect it to happen to me,” said Greenwade.
Greenwade said while the incident cost him his credit card and driver's license because the fire burned through his card case, it could have been a lot worse.
“My main concern was what if one of my children had it, it could have been dangerous, so I'm just glad nobody got hurt,” said Greenwade.
The fiery incident landed Greenwade a new Samsung S7 and one, crazy story.
“It's a very small percentage and it just so happened to me, so just my luck,” said Greenwade.
Samsung is urging customers who own the Galaxy Note 7 to return their devices for a replacement. The company is also reportedly working on an update to the smartphone limiting how long users can charge the device.