(WHAS11) -- The University of Louisville women’s tennis team edged visiting DePaul to stay undefeated at home as the regular season came to an end with the 4-3 win over the Blue Demons.
“This was a great win. The best win of the year,” said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. “For it to be the most important match this season too, well, I just can’t say enough about this team. We are not a team that makes excuses, but we are playing through some injuries. Yet we are still able to compete and win against some really good teams.”
The match will heavily weigh as the seedings are decided going into next weekend’s BIG EAST Championship in Tampa, Fla., on the campus of the University of Southern Florida. Notre Dame has all but sewn up the top seed with Louisville, USF, DePaul and Marquette duking it out for the next spots. Since the BIG EAST does not play a full slate, other factors like regional rankings and wins over ranked opponents will come into play for the determination of the bracket.
“Hopefully this win will get us the highest seed possible,” said Beckham. “We want to be positioned to move as far as a we can in tournament play.”
U of L (15-7) took the doubles point as the pair of Mandy Brown and Manuela Velasquez paired to win at No. 3 with an 8-6 win over Zaina Sufi and Jarret Fisher. The No. 1 pair of Julia Fellerhoff and Rebecca Shine pulled out an 8-5 win over Matea Cutura and Ana Vladutu to clinch the point.
As the Cardinals moved to singles, No. 6 singles player Becky Bodine cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 win over Zaina Sufi to put U of L up 2-0. Julia Fellerhoff took the top match at No. 1 with an 8-5 win over Matea Cutura. The Blue Demons were not done though, as they took the No. 4 and No. 5 slots, leaving Manuela Velasquez and Rebecca Shine to battle for the clinching point. The scrappy sophomore from Kew Gardens, N.Y. won as Velasquez won the first set 7-5 and then, tied at 3 in the second won three straight sets to clinch the match. Shine fell 6-2 in her second set after being edged 7-6 (4) in the first.
Tennis Match Results
DePaul vs. University of Louisville
Apr 14, 2013 at Louisville, Ky
University of Louisville 4, DePaul 3
1. Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Matea Cutura (DEPAUL) 6-4, 6-3
2. Patricia Fargas (DEPAUL) def. Rebecca Shine (LOU) 7-6 (4), 6-2
3. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Ana Vladutu (DEPAUL) 7-5, 6-3
4. Kelsey Lawson (DEPAUL) def. Stefanie Villajuan (LOU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Jarret Fisher (DEPAUL) def. Mandy Brown (LOU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Becky Bodine (LOU) def. Zaina Sufi (DEPAUL) 6-0, 6-1
1. Rebecca Shine/Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Matea Cutura/Ana Vladutu (DEPAUL) 8-5
2. Patricia Fargas/Jasmin Kling (DEPAUL) def. Becky Bodine/Stefanie Villajuan (LOU) 6-3
3. Mandy Brown/Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Zaina Sufi/Jarret Fisher (DEPAUL) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,1,4,5,3,2)