LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) -- The University of Louisville women’s tennis team took the doubles point and Manuela Velasquez clinched the match in singles for a 7-0 win over visiting Xavier in the season dual match opener.
“It was a very good performance today,” said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. “They didn’t give me any ammunition to complain in the post-match talk. I like how we responded to Xavier’s runs that they gave us. We didn’t panic which is the biggest thing. Teams I have had in the past would have panicked in a similar situation and we didn’t today. I think we have a chance to be a better team than we were last year.”
In doubles, the No. 3 pair of Mandy Brown and Stefanie Villajuan made quick work of Daniella Patton and Andrea Wolf with an 8-1 win. Manuela Velasquez and Julia Fellerhoff clinched the doubles point for U of L with an 8-3 win over Kally Alkire and Katie Pleiman. Becky Bodine and Rebecca Shine won 8-5 over Alexandra Brinker and Ally Westling at No. 2.
At No. 6 singles, Becky Bodine won 6-3, 6-0 over Lizzie Oosterbaan for the first singles point. The next Cardinal point came from Mandy Brown who won at No. 4 with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Kally Alkire. The clinching point came from Manuela Velasquez, who beat Daniella Patton 6-3, 6-0. Next came Becca Shine, who rolled at No. 2 with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Alexandra Brinker. At No. 1, Julia Fellerhoff won the first set 6-2 but dropped the second 6-2 before rolling 6-1 in the third set. At No. 5, Stefanie Villajuan won her first set 6-2 but dropped the second 6-2 before beating Andrea Wolf 10-8 in the tiebreaker.
Tennis Match Results
Xavier vs Louisville
Jan 20, 2013 at Louisville, KY
(Bass Rudd Tennis Center)
Louisville 7, Xavier 0
1. Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Katie Pleiman (XU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Alexandra Brinker (XU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Daniella Patton (XU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Mandy Brown (LOU) def. Kally Alkire (XU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Stefanie Villajuan (LOU) def. Andrea Wolf (XU) 6-2, 2-6, 10-8
6. Becky Bodine (LOU) def. Lizzie Oosterbaan (XU) 6-3, 6-0
1. Manuela Velasquez/Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Kally Alkire/Katie Pleiman (XU) 8-3
2. Becky Bodine/Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Alexandra Brinker/Allyson Westling (XU) 7-5
3. Mandy Brown/Stefanie Villajuan (LOU) def. Daniella Patton/Andrea Wolf (XU) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,4,3,2,1,5)