LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The University of Louisville men’s tennis team fell 7-0 to visiting Texas Tech Saturday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
“We had some momentum with us after winning three in a row in singles, but Texas Tech outperformed us today,” said U of L head coach Rex Ecarma. “We are a work in progress and I am excited to get back to work.”
No. 39 Texas Tech (13-5) took the first point of the match with doubles wins on all three courts. Sophomores Albert Wagner and Van Damrongsri fell 8-4 to Jeff Bryan and Felipe Soares on court two. Sophomore Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and freshman Alex Gornet lost 8-6 to No. 69 Gabriel Dias and Vitor Manzini at the top seed to give the Red Raiders a 1-0 lead. Sophomore Luis Elizondo and freshman Jeffrey Brown fell 8-5 to Raphael Pfister and Hugo Dojas at No. 3.
In singles action, Texas Tech took a 2-0 lead on court four when Gornet fell 6-1, 6-4 to Pfister. Siegel lost 6-1, 6-3 to Dojas at the six-spot to give the Red Raiders a 3-0 lead. The match was decided at the No. five position where sophomore Michael Lippens fell 6-3, 6-2 to Francisco Zambon. On court No. 3, sophomore Chris Simich outlasted Soares 7-6 in their first set, but Soares battled back to win the second 6-4 and took a 10-8 tiebreaker in the third to increase the Red Raiders’ lead to 5-0. At the No. 2 spot, Wagner rebounded from a 6-3 first set loss to Dias to post a 6-3 win in the second, but fell 6-2 in the third. At the top seed, Stiefelmeyer posted a 6-2 win over Manzini, but fell 6-3, 6-3 in the next two sets for the final point of the match.
#39 Texas Tech 7, #46 Louisville 0
Mar 30, 2013 at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. Vitor Manzini (TEXTECH) def. #79 Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Gabriel Dias (TEXTECH) def. Albert Wagner (LOU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
3. Felipe Soares (TEXTECH) def. Chris Simich (LOU) 6-7, 6-4, 1-0
4. Raphael Pfister (TEXTECH) def. #113 Alex Gornet (LOU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Francisco Zambon (TEXTECH) def. Michael Lippens (LOU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Hugo Dojas (TEXTECH) def. Austin Siegel (LOU) 6-1, 6-3
1. #69 Vitor Manzini/Gabriel Dias (TEXTECH) def. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Alex Gornet (LOU) 8-6
2. Jeff Bryan/Felipe Soares (TEXTECH) def. Albert Wagner/Van Damrongsri (LOU) 8-4
3. Raphael Pfister/Hugo Dojas (TEXTECH) def. Luis Elizondo/Jeffrey Brown (LOU) 8-5
Texas Tech 13-5; National ranking #39
Louisville 12-10; National ranking #46
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,6,5,3,2,1)