LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The University of Louisville men’s tennis team fell 5-2 to Notre Dame in the Cards regular season finale Saturday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
"We did not rise to the occasion today,” said U of L head coach Rex Ecarma. “We probably could have sealed an at-large bid to the NCAA Team tournament and Sebastian could have sealed his spot in the NCAA Singles Championship today as well. We look forward to the Big East Championships at Notre Dame. We have won two of our three Big East Tournaments in South Bend."
The Cards (13-12) fell behind early when Notre Dame (16-7)used wins at Nos. 1 and 3 to take the doubles point. Sophomore Chris Simich and freshman Jeffrey Brown fell 8-1 to Greg Andrews and Matt Dooley at No. 3 while sophomore Albert Wagner and freshman Alex Gornet lost 8-2 to No. 82 Billy Pecor and Alex Lawson. Louisville sophomores Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Van Damrongsri teamed to beat Ryan Bandy and Spencer Talmadge 8-6 at the two-spot.
Simich tied the match at 1-1 with his 6-4, 6-2 win over Blas Moros at the No. 3 spot. Notre Dame regained the lead at No. 1 where No. 89 Greg Andrews defeated No. 66 Stiefelmeyer 6-4, 6-1. The Irish took a 3-1 lead when Quentin Monaghan beat Wagner 6-3, 6-2 at the two-spot. Cardinal sophomore Michael Lippens rebounded from a 6-1 loss in the first set to defeat Pecor 6-3 in the second, but fell 6-0 in the third as the Irish claimed the decisive point on court four.
At the five-spot, Gornet picked up a 6-2 win in the first set, but Wyatt McCoy prevailed 7-6 in the second and 10-7 in the third to increase Notre Dame’s lead to 5-1. Damrongsri and Bandy split sets on court six with Bandy winning the first 7-5 and Damrongsri taking the second by the same score. Damrongsri prevailed 10-5 in the third for the Cards’ second point of the match.
Louisville will travel to South Bend, Ind. , for the BIG EAST Conference Championship April 18-21.
#32 Notre Dame 5, #47 Louisville 2
Apr 13, 2013 at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. #89 Greg Andrews (ND-MT) def. #66 Seb Stiefelmeyer (LOU-MT) 6-4, 6-1
2. Quentin Monaghan (ND-MT) def. Albert Wagner (LOU-MT) 6-3, 6-2
3. Chris Simich (LOU-MT) def. Blas Moros (ND-MT) 6-4, 6-2
4. Billy Pecor (ND-MT) def. Michael Lippens (LOU-MT) 1-6, 6-3, 6-0
5. Wyatt McCoy (ND-MT) def. Alex Gornet (LOU-MT) 6-2, 6-7, 10-7
6. Van Damrongsri (LOU-MT) def. Ryan Bandy (ND-MT) 5-7, 7-5, 10-5
1. #82 Billy Pecor/Alex Lawson (ND-MT) def. Albert Wagner/Alex Gornet (LOU-MT) 8-2
2. Seb Stiefelmeyer/Van Damrongsri (LOU-MT) def. Ryan Bandy/Spencer Talmadge (ND-MT) 8-6
3. Greg Andrews/Matt Dooley (ND-MT) def. Jeffrey Brown/Chris Simich (LOU-MT) 8-1
Notre Dame 16-7; National ranking #32
Louisville 13-12; National ranking #47
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,1,2,4,5,6)