The University of Louisville women’s tennis team beat visiting BIG EAST rival Marquette 5-2 in a match that will help decide seeding for next week’s conference championship to be held in Tampa, Fla.
The Cardinals took the doubles point and then four singles spots to push their record to 14-7.
“It was an excellent win because there was a tremendous amount of pressure to win this match,” said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. “There are direct implications on seeding for next week’s BIG EAST tournament. Being able to get through this match set us up to play DePaul tomorrow and that match will even bigger than today’s.
In doubles action, Manuela Velasquez and Mandy Brown teamed to notch the first win with an 8-1 win over Aleeza Kanner and Rocio Diaz at No. 3. Julia Fellerhoff and Rebecca Shine blanked Aina Hernandez Soler and Ali Dawson 8-0 at No. 1 to clinch the point.
In singles, Manuela Velasquez made short work of Aina Hernandez Soler with a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 3 for the first singles point. Becky Bodine won 6-3, 6-1 over Laia Hernandez Soler 6-3, 6-1 at No. 6 to make it 3-0. Rebecca Shine clinched the match at No. 2 with a 6-4, 6- 2 win over Erin Gebes. The Eagles got their first point when No. 5 Ali Dawson edged Mandy Brown 3-6, 6-2, 10-8. At No. 1, Julia Fellerhoff outlasted Ana Pimienta 5-7, 6-4, 10-4 to add an insurance point for the Cards. Stefanie Villajuan fell in three sets 5-7, 6-2, 10-5 to Rocio Diaz to end the match.
The Cardinals are back in action Sunday, April 14 at 10 a.m. at the Bass Rudd Tennis Center for senior day.
Tennis Match Results
Marquette vs University of Louisville
Apr 13, 2013 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
University of Louisville 5, Marquette 2
1. Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Ana Pimienta (MQT) 5-7, 6-4, 10-4
2. Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Erin Gebes (MQT) 6-4, 6-2
3. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Aina Hernandez Soler (MQT) 6-3, 6-1
4. Rocio Diaz (MQT) def. Stefanie Villajuan (LOU) 5-7, 6-2, 10-5
5. Ali Dawson (MQT) def. Mandy Brown (LOU) 3-6, 6-2, 10-8
6. Becky Bodine (LOU) def. Laia Hernandez Soler (MQT) 6-3, 6-1
1. Julia Fellerhoff/Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Aina Hernandez Soler/Ali Dawson (MQT) 8-0
2. Ana Pimienta/Erin Gebes (MQT) def. Stefanie Villajuan/Becky Bodine (LOU) 5-4
3. Manuela Velasquez/Mandy Brown (LOU) def. Aleeza Kanner/Rocio Diaz (MQT) 8-1
Match Notes: U of L is 14-7, Marquette is 10-11.
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,6,2,5,1,4)