LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The University of Louisville men’s tennis team defeated visiting Arizona 6-1 Saturday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
“The PAC-12 wins nearly all the NCAA National Team Championships,” said U of L head coach Rex Ecarma. “To win against a good team from this conference is a nice accomplishment especially when it is our first outdoor team match of the season. There were a lot of fingerprints on today's win. Mainly, I credit all the work we did during spring break. It is starting to pay off."
The Cardinals claimed the doubles point to take an early lead. Sophomores Van Damrongsri and Albert Wagner teamed to beat Giacomo Miccini and Mario Uriquidi 8-3 at No. 2. Sophomore Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and freshman Alex Gornet defeated Fred Ask and Sumeet Shinde 8-6 at the top seed to secure the first point of the match. Arizona’s Naoki Takeda and Kieren Thompson topped freshmen Jeffrey Brown and Austin Siegel 8-5 at No. 3.
In singles action, sophomore Albert Wagner gave the Cards a 2-0 lead with a 7-5, 6-1 win over Ask at No. 2. Stiefelmeyer added to the lead on court No. 1 where he fell 6-0 to Miccini in the first set, but came back to win 6-3, 6-0. Sophomore Michael Lippens’ 6-4, 4-6, 6-0 decision over Shinde at No. 4 sealed the win for the Cards. Siegel registered a 3-6, 6-2, 6-0 decision over Takeda at No. 6.
The Wildcats’ Kieren Thompson defeated Chris Simich 6-1, 6-7, 6-2 to claim Arizona’s lone point in the match.
Gornet wrapped up the match with a 6-1, 6-7, 6-2 win over Uriquidi at the five-spot.
U of L (10-9) is back in action on March 27 when the Cards play host to Dayton at 12 p.m. and Xavier at 4 p.m. in a doubleheader at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
#49 Louisville 6, #55 Arizona 1
Mar 23, 2013 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
1. No. 95 Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) def. Giacomo Miccini (ARIZONA) 0-6, 6-3, 6-0
2. Albert Wagner (LOU) def. Fredrik Ask (ARIZONA) 7-5, 6-1
3. Kieren Thompson (ARIZONA) def. Chris Simich (LOU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
4. Michael Lippens (LOU) def. Sumeet Shinde (ARIZONA) 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
5. Alex Gornet (LOU) def. Mario Uriquidi (ARIZONA) 6-1, 6-7, 6-2
6. Austin Siegel (LOU) def. Naoki Takeda (ARIZONA) 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
1. Alex Gornet/Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) def. Fredrik Ask/Sumeet Shinde (ARIZONA) 8-6
2. Van Damrongsri/Albert Wagner (LOU) def. Giacomo Miccini/Mario Uriquidi (ARIZONA) 8-3
3. Naoki Takeda/Kieren Thompson (ARIZONA) def. Jeffrey Brown/Austin Siegel (LOU) 8-5
Arizona 9-6; National ranking #55
Louisville 10-9; National ranking #49
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,1,4,6,3,5)