OXFORD, Miss. – The University of Louisville men’s tennis fell 4-2 to North Carolina State in the first round of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend Friday evening at the University of Mississippi’s Gillom Sports Center. The Cards (3-2) will face the loser of Ole Miss and Columbia Saturday at 9 a.m. in the consolation match.
"We are disappointed with the result,” said U of L head coach Rex Ecarma. “Our top doubles team was 4-0 this year and got up a break but let it slip away and we got down 0-1. Sebastian played like the player we know he is and tied it up for us. Albert played a dominating third set and put us up 2-1. Luis was up a break in the third but lost 4-6. Simich played a great second set to even up the match but lost in 3. Lastly, Lippens was up 5-2 then lost control of the match. Obviously, we had opportunities but we need to do a better job of capitalizing on them."
The Wolfpack took the doubles point to go up 1-0 in the match. Louisville’s 31st ranked duo of sophomores Albert Wagner and Alex Gornet picked up the first loss of the season in an 8-5 setback to NC State’s Sean Weber and Dave Thomson at the top seed. Sophomores Van Damrongsri and Sebastian Stiefelmeyer evened the doubles matches with an 8-4 victory over Robbie Mudge and Thomas Weigel at No. 3. The point was decided on court two where NC State’s Beck Bond and Austin Powell beat sophomores Michael Lippens and Luis Elizondo 8-5.
In singles action, Stiefelmeyer, No. 82 in the ITA singles rankings, defeated Powell 6-4, 6-2 at No. 1 to tie the match at 1-1. Wagner registered a 6-3, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Thomson at the two-spot to give the Cards a 2-1 lead. Sophomore Chris Simich fell 6-3 in his first set against Mudge, but came back to notch a 6-3 win in the second. Mudge tied the match with a 6-2 decision in the third.
On court four, Elizondo won his first set 6-4, but fell 6-0, 6-4 in the next two sets against Weigel as the Wolfpack took a 3-2 lead. Lippens fell 7-5, 6-2 to Weber at No. 5 as the Wolfpack sealed the win.
ITA Kick-Off Weekend
North Carolina State vs. Louisville
Jan 25, 2013 at Oxford, Miss.
(Gillom Sports Center)
#41 North Carolina State 4, #36 Louisville 2
1. Sean Weber/Dave Thomson (NCSTATE) def. #31 Albert Wagner/Alex Gornet (LOU-MT) 8-5
2. Beck Bond/Austin Powell (NCSTATE) def. Michael Lippens/Luis Elizondo (LOU-MT) 8-5
3. Van Damrongsri/Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) def. Robbie Mudge/Thomas Weigel (NCSTATE) 8-4
Order of finish: 1,3,2
1. #82 Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) def. Austin Powell (NCSTATE) 6-4, 6-2
2. Albert Wagner (LOU) def. Dave Thomson (NCSTATE) 6-3, 5-7, 6-1
3. Robbie Mudge (NCSTATE) def. Chris Simich (LOU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
4. Thomas Weigel (NCSTATE) def. Luis Elizondo (LOU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-4
5. Sean Weber (NCSTATE) def. Michael Lippens (LOU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Alex Gornet (LOU) vs. Simon Norenius (NCSTATE) 5-7, 1-0, unfinished
Order of finish: 1,2,3,4,5
North Carolina State 3-0; National ranking #41
Louisville 3-2; National ranking #36