Turkey says no Turkish military strike against IS

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on August 9, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Updated Saturday, Aug 9 at 11:01 AM

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey's defense minister says it is out of the question for Turkey to launch a military intervention against Islamic State fighters in Iraq, and that his country was not involved in U.S. airstrikes against the extremists near the Kurdish regional capital of Irbil.

The Anadolu news agency reported Saturday that Defense Minister Ismet Yilmaz told reporters in the central Anatolian province of Sivas that his country had not provided "any support to the U.S. so far." He cited Turkey's responsibility toward 49 Turkish citizens taken hostage by the IS from the Turkish consulate in Mosul in June. The hostages include diplomatic staff, special forces police and children.

Due to this, Yilmaz said, "it is impossible for us to do anything different."

Print
Email
|