TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras (AP) — A Honduran official has withdrawn his report that some miners had been rescued from a small, wildcat gold mine in southern Honduras. He now says all 11 miners are still trapped following a cave-in Wednesday.
Emergencies Commission director Moises Alvarado said earlier Thursday that eight of the miners had been rescued. He now says he was given incorrect information by a firefighter at the site.
Alvarado says that "the miners are still underground and none of them has been rescued."
More than 300 Red Cross volunteers, firefighters and people who live near the mine in the town of El Corpus have been using picks and shovels trying to reach the miners.
Fire department spokesman Oscar Triminio said earlier the miners are trapped about 90 yards (80 meters) into the mine.