Trial of British terror suspect in Kenya postponed

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on May 9, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Updated Wednesday, May 9 at 10:02 AM

MOMBASA, Kenya (AP) — A lawyer for the Kenyan government says the trial of a British national who faces terrorism charges in Kenya will start Thursday.

Lawyer Jacob Ondari says the case failed to start Wednesday because the criminal file of the suspect, who is identified as Jermain Jhon Grant in court documents, was incomplete.

Grant and his three Kenyan co-accused face charges stemming from what Kenyan police say was a failed plot to launch a terrorist attack on Kenyan territory late last year.

Police say they have enough evidence to convict Grant, who is already serving a jail term for being in Kenya illegally.

Kenya has been on high alert for terrorist plots after its decision to send troops into Somalia last October. Police say that since then the Somali militant group al-Shabab is suspected of killing at least 30 Kenyan civilians.

Print
Email
|