(WHAS 11)--A Florida middle schooler is fighting for his life this morning after contracting a deadly disease while playing in a ditch next to his home.
Zachary Reyna was an active 7th grader until his diagnosed with primary Amoebic Meningo Encephalitis or PAM.
It's caused by an amoeba found in still, warm water.
It traveled up Zac's nose and into his brain.
The family is staying positive, telling their young baseball player to not give up in this close game.
Only three people have ever survived the type of amoeba Zachary picked up.
His family is hoping he'll be the fourth.