GM compensation fund gets claims in 63 death cases

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on August 8, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Updated Friday, Aug 8 at 6:01 PM

DETROIT (AP) — Sixty-three death claims have been filed so far with the lawyer handling payments for those involved in wrecks caused by faulty General Motors ignition switches.

A spokeswoman for compensation expert Kenneth Feinberg says he received 125 claims by Friday afternoon. Sixty-two others seek payments for injuries. Feinberg started taking claims Aug. 1.

Spokeswoman Camille Biros says Feinberg still has to determine if the claims are eligible for payments.

GM has recalled 2.6 million small cars to fix the switches. The company has admitted knowing about the problem for more than a decade, yet it failed to recall the cars until this year. GM hired Feinberg to compensate the injured and the families of people killed.

GM has absorbed a $400 million charge to cover possible payments.

Print
Email
|