LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — Firefighters, a Hazmat team and CSX Railroad staff have stopped a small anhydrous ammonia leak from a rail car in Louisville.
Louisville-Jefferson County Emergency Management Agency spokeswoman Jody Duncan told The Courier-Journal (http://cjky.it/14Q25PM ) rail workers first reported smelling ammonia at about 3:30 a.m. Thursday near where a rail car was parked at CSA Osborn Yard.
Workers stopped the leak just after 10 a.m. and released the car back to CSX.
Authorities had said there was no danger to the public and no evacuations were made, partly because several nearby businesses were closed for the July 4 holiday.
Anhydrous ammonia is a colorless gas that can burn the eyes and throat. At very high exposures it can burn the lungs and restrict breathing.
Information from: The Courier-Journal, http://www.courier-journal.com