Most Ind. fair collapse victims accept settlement

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press

Associated Press

Posted on August 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Updated Friday, Aug 3 at 2:02 AM

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The Indiana Attorney General's Office says most victims of a deadly stage collapse at the Indiana State Fair have agreed to accept shares of a $13.2 million settlement offer from the state and two private companies.

The office said Thursday so far 51 of the 62 eligible claimants have accepted the settlement offer. Paperwork from additional claimants that was postmarked by Wednesday's midnight deadline also will be accepted.

To accept the combined settlement, claimants agreed to release Mid-America Sound and James Thomas Engineering from additional liability in the Aug. 13, 2011, collapse before country duo Sugarland was to perform, killing seven and injuring dozens. The companies put up a combined $7.2 million with the state' $6 million.

The companies have until Aug. 15 to sign off on the settlement.

Print
Email
|