(ABC NEWS) -- FBI Director James Comey released a statement today saying that the FBI is going to continue the previously closed investigation into Hillary Clinton's emails from her time as secretary of state.
"In connection with an unrelated case, the FBI has learned of the existence of emails that appear to be pertinent to the investigation," Comey wrote in a letter released today.
Comey wrote in the letter that after being briefed on the unrelated case, he agreed, "the FBI should take appropriated investigative steps designed to allow investigators to review these emails to determine whether they contain classified information, as well as to assess their importance to our investigation."
"Although the FBI cannot yet assess whether or not this material may be significant, and I cannot predict how long it will take us to complete this additional work, I believe it is important to update your Committees about our efforts in light of my previous testimony," the letter to the leaders of various congressional committees.
Today's news comes nearly four months after Comey announced that no charges would be filed against Clinton over her use of a private email server while she was Secretary of State.
“Although there is evidence of potential violations of the statutes regarding the handling of classified information, our judgment is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case,” Comey said on July 5.
He said that while they could not "find a case that would support bringing criminal charges on these facts," he did call Clinton's actions "extremely careless."
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
Copyright (c) 2017 ABC All Rights Reserved