Former inmate sues Shelby Co., guard after beat up in jail

Former Shelby Co. inmate suing over beating

SHELBY CO., Ky. (WHAS11) -- A former inmate is suing Shelby County, a jail guard and others who his attorney says didn't give him the help he needed when he says he was beat up at the Shelby County Detention Center in November. 

Scars from the physical damage are still left behind after Josh Reece says it was a jail guard who ordered the other inmates to beat him up. 

“I was asleep, they dragged me out and they beat me,” explained Josh Reece, who is suing Shelby County. 

He says it happened within hours of being checked in.  He says he went to his cell around 2 o’clock, laid down to take a nap and the next thing he knew, he was surrounded. 
“I remember looking at the clock,” he said. “The next thing it was five, so you're talking about three or four hours of beating.”

He says he was knocked unconscious and when he woke up, they started again. 

“Only thing left was a big hole in my head, when my skull was caved,” said Reece.

That guard, William Carey, did plead guilty to Complicity to Assault in the 4th Degree and Official Misconduct in connection to the assault in the criminal complaint. Investigators state this all started because Carey believed Reece had dated his wife.

Now Reece is suing Shelby County, the jail guard, and other Shelby County Detention Center employees.  

“I know they about killed me, ya know what I mean?” he said. 

Documents say Reece was placed in the Shelby County Detention Center for stealing two boxes of fruit roll-ups. He was put in a maximum security cell.  In the criminal complaint against Carey, investigators say he admitted to telling another inmate he wanted Reece beat up.  Reece says he doesn't know who William Carey or his wife is. 

“I didn't know any of them. I didn't know none. Like I said, I knew I was going to get out in a couple of days,” said Reece. 

Reece says he did not receive medical treatment right away.  He says when he woke up again, he was in clean clothes.

“He's was placed in a bunk and essentially hid for a couple days.  It's not until one of the other inmates goes to court and tells his lawyers and the authorities that someone had been beaten in a cell, that he's gotten out of that maximum security cell and is placed in an isolation cell,” explained his attorney Garry Adas. 

He says he was given Ibuprofen and two weeks later, an X-Ray. But it wasn't until he was released, 30 days later, that he went to the hospital and got a CT Scan, which called for reconstructive surgery.  

“They had to peel down his face. They had to reconstruct the bone, and then pull his face back up and staple his head to put him back together,” said Adams. 

Carey was sentenced to two years of probation, and up to 90 days in jail if he violated that probation.  Carey no longer works at the jail, but Shelby County Detention Center would not confirm if and when he was fired.  WHAS11 News reached out to Carey's attorney and got no response. 


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories