Cigarette causes apartment fire in Charlestown Ind., Fire officials say

Ind. apartment fire started by cigarette

CHARLESTOWN, Ind. (WHAS11) – Fire crews put out a fire at the Parkside Trace Apartment Building on Harmony Lane in Charlestown.

According to officials, the fire was started by a cigarette.

It apparently began on the ground level, all occupants were out of the house, or out of the duplex, said Assistant Chief of the Charlestown Fire Department, Andre Heal. 

Four to eight units have been destroyed.

“I was keeping a close eye on our apartment, seeing if it was going to end up having any damage, and so far, as far as I know, it doesn't,” said Alyssa Elles, who lives in the apartment complex.

She told WHAS11 News that she is staying in the Cobblestone Hotel and Suites for the night. 

The Red Cross is at the scene to provide help for those without a place to stay tonight.

© 2017 WHAS-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment