3 siblings die, 1 survives after New Albany house fire

Print
Email
|

by Claudia Coffey

WHAS11.com

Posted on January 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Updated Tuesday, Jan 7 at 8:45 AM

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) — A New Albany girl remains at Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis with burns to 35 percent of her body after her house caught fire Saturday morning.

Three of her siblings were killed in the blaze.

Fire officials said a space heater ignited the fire, but they are not sure if it was clothes or paper that caught fire.

"The space heater did not cause the fire, but something too close to the space heater ignited the fire . Combustibles too close ignited it,"  said New Albany Police Captain, Chris Koelher.

Officials said they are now zeroing in on where there mother and her friend were when the fire started. They may have been outside the whole time.

The fire is reported to have started in the room where the three children were sleeping.

Michael Keno is a family friend and said his children were close to the victims.

“It is a tragedy and we feel so bad for the family and we are praying for them," said Keno.

Keno came to pray at the home on Ealy Street in New Albany where Trinity, 2, Tyrese, 4, and Tai'zah, 6, lost their lives.

Taiena, 5, survived, but is severely injured.

“I know those kids are in heaven,” he said.

A small memorial has been erected near the remains of the home. The children were there that night visiting their mother's friend.

In 22-years on the job, Koelher said it’s the worst he has seen.

There were at least four space heaters in use, as well as an oven being used as well to heat the house.
 

Print
Email
|