Sellersburg standoff suspect facing multiple felonies


by Brittany Gonzalez / AP

Posted on June 25, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Updated Friday, Jul 12 at 10:50 AM

SELLERSBURG, Ind. (WHAS11 / AP) -- Detectives returned to the home on East Delaware Court on Tuesday to gather more evidence after a 10 hour standoff that ended late Monday night.

Police say a SWAT team fired tear gas inside the Sellersburg house to force the man after determining negotiations had failed. The home sustained heavy damage after police say former Louisville Firefighter Josh Priddy barricaded himself inside and shot dozens of times at officers.

Officers arrested 31-year-old Joshua Priddy and he was jailed on preliminary counts of attempted murder and other charges.

Photos: SWAT team called to Sellersburg

WHAS11 has learned Priddy was a firefighter with the Louisville Fire Department from 2000-2012.  He was fired, according to Sal Malendez with the LMFD, due to frequent work absences.

Those who know Priddy said they were stunned.

"They are a good family. He's a good man. Something must have clicked to make him do this," said family friend Shirley Tharp.

Tharp said Priddy was a loving father.

According to police, 911 was called Monday afternoon because of concerns for his mental health.

Dispatch: OK, what’s going on?
Caller: Her husband, he has some mental issues going on. He took off in the car with her he still over there? No, no, no, he’s still there.
Dispatch: Let me connect you to police ma’am, stay on the line.

Police say Priddy fled into another house and fired at officers and the police dog who followed him. Police say he later shot at officers surrounding the house, hitting a sheriff's deputy, Chris Proctor, in the leg. He was taken to a hospital for treatment.

Chief Russ Whelan said Priddy told police he shot at officers hoping to create a diversion.

Police said when they arrived at the scene the suspect was in his yard with his children and armed with two hand guns. Sellersburg Police Chief Russ Whelan said the suspect pointed a gun at him then took off running.

"You know was saying stuff about...anti-government and he knew what we was wanting from him. Which is when he initially pointed the gun at me and he had his children with him," Whelan said. "Shortly after that is when he let the kids go."

The Clark County Sheriff's Department was called in and law enforcement officials were in the home but had to evacuate when the suspect began shooting. That is when Proctor was shot in the leg.

Priddy's family lives a few blocks away from the 700 block of East Delaware Court where the standoff happened. On Tuesday they put a note on their door asking for privacy and prayers. Priddy is expected to be in court on Wednesday. He faces multiple felony charges and is being held at the Clark County Jail.