Indiana family loses home to fire just before holidays

Print
Email
|

by Chelsea Rabideau

WHAS11.com

Posted on December 21, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Updated Friday, Dec 21 at 8:58 AM

BETHLEHEM, Ind. (WHAS11)  – It's a devastating loss for a Southern Indiana family. Just days before Christmas, an electrical fire torched an entire floor of their home, water has damaged the rest. It happened near Bethlehem, Indiana. 

The homeowner, Joyce Seal is trying to focus on the silver lining. Her family and her beloved pets all made it out of the fire unharmed. Everything else, she says, is gone, but can be replaced.

Seal was sitting in her living room watching TV when the fire started. “Well, I heard something rumbling here, in the floor, in the foyer, in the ceiling. And my tree started flashing, the lights and like, ‘What was that?’ And my son heard it at the same time and then we heard what sounded like popcorn popping and my son went flying up stairs cause my grandbabies were asleep,” she explained.

Seal’s son grabbed his young son and daughter and they all raced out the door. Every person and pet made it out safely. “Absolutely, that’s the most important thing right there and my dogs, got everybody out,” Seal said.

The home is a mess. The upper level burned, the lower level soaked in water. Seal has been told it was likely an electrical fire that started at an outlet in her bedroom. The same room where her husband died, now, just a charred shell.

Seal’s son and grandchildren are staying with family. But, even without power, Seal is staying with her six dogs in her home. “The fire people told me I shouldn’t, but I can’t, I don’t have anywhere to take my dogs, I’m not going to be apart from them,” she said.

Friends and family stop by to bring food and whatever else they can spare. Seal is already thinking about rebuilding. She says her insurance company and the firefighters have all been very helpful.
 

Print
Email
|