Investigation underway after shooting involving sheriff's deputies


by Renee Murphy/Chelsea Rabideau

Posted on March 11, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Updated Wednesday, Mar 12 at 11:46 PM

Officer-involved shooting

View larger map

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) –Louisville Metro Police are investigating a shooting death involving the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department.

The incident began when Deputy Rick Wilkerson was trying to serve a warrant to a man at a home on Newburg Road for not paying child support.

A man fled in his vehicle and a pursuit ensued where Deputy Ben Bryant joined in.

Download WHAS11 News app: iPhone | Android

According to officials, the pursuit ended in the parking lot of HD Supply in the 4600 block of Poplar Level Road with the suspect exiting his truck with a knife around 10 a.m. Tuesday.

“The Sheriff’s office did make a request that the public integrity unit of Louisville Metro Police as you all are aware our public integrity unit does investigate typically any kind of criminal investigation involving metro employees or as requested,” said Sgt. Robert Biven with Louisville Metro Police.

Right next door at Our Lady's Rosary Makers they were praying when officers started arriving at the scene.

“We just kept praying harder and harder that was all we could do,” Candy Ford of Our Lady’s Rosary Makers said.

They locked their doors, hoping the suspect wasn't on foot.

“I was scared I usually make the sign of the cross whenever I hear police when I hear fire engine,” Ford said.

A man who did not want to be identified was in a business near the shooting said he heard at least 25 shots then later seeing the man eventually die.

"Probably for about 10, 12 seconds it was continual, you know, pop pop pop pop pop pop pow, like that. I mean, every, it sounded like firecrackers going off to me," said the man. "He was twitching and you could see his knee moving and one guy said you could see his chest moving up and down and then it stopped."

The scene had other businesses frightened as well.

“We heard sirens originally they passed up this building. We thought maybe it wasn't necessarily close or anything then we saw a swarm of cops come up to this building so then we knew it was isolated to this area and not soon after an ambulance showed up,” McKenzi Cook, a witness said.

Louisville Metro Police are investigating at the request of the Sheriff because they have a homicide unit.

The man’s name has not yet been released and the deputies involved are being interviewed. It’s unclear exactly how many shots were fired.