‘Misidentified 4’ talk about time in jail, future plans


by Chelsea Rabideau


Posted on June 26, 2014 at 11:31 PM

 LOUISVILLE, Ky. – They’re known as the ‘Misidentified 4,’ now they’re talking about their ordeal.

Police arrested the young men after mob-like violence broke out in Downtown Louisville in March. They were arrested based on information from one of the victims shortly after the attacks. This week, the charges were dropped. 
The four men say they were victims of racial profiling. They sat down to talk about the painful few months they endured and what they want from city leaders.
“Having to go through that experience and even having to talk about it, it’s something that we gotta live with for the rest of our life,” 20-year-old Craig Dean said. 
Sitting side-by-side, the Misidentified 4 talk about the months they spent in jail. 
“Two months in there,” 20-year-old Tyrone Booker, Jr. said, “Hard to sleep, everybody’s loud. Nobody has no respect for nobody in there.”
Booker, Dean, 19-year-old Shaquazz Allen, and 21-year-old Jerron Bush were arrested for a March 22nd robbery. It happened the same night a group of more than 200 teenagers stormed through downtown spreading violence and chaos. They tried to tell police they had nothing to do with it, never thinking it would go as far as it did. 
“We felt like, we was going to be out the next morning or Monday morning,” Dean said, “We thought they was going to say, ok, we got the wrong guys, I’m sorry y’all, it was an inconvenience, it was a misunderstanding. It didn’t ever happen.”
They said there was no evidence tying them to the crime, just the color of their skin. Their lawyer even tracked down security camera footage and triangulated cell phone signals to prove the men were nowhere near the scene of the crime. 
Still, the young men sat in jail. They lost their jobs and fell behind in school. When they finally got out, they had to scramble to make up two months worth of work in two weeks. 
“That’s hard to do, but it got done,” Booker explained.
It was shocking, disturbing, and terrifying for these men. Now, they’re trying to plan for the future and put this ordeal in the past. But, they want something from Mayor Greg Fischer and LMPD Chief Steve Conrad; an apology. 
We spoke to Chief Conrad after the Grand Jury’s decision. He did not apologize. He said the men matched the description given by witnesses and the officers followed policy. He added that just because the Grand Jury failed to indict, doesn’t mean the policy is flawed or that the officers did anything wrong.