LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) -- Before the sun rose Monday morning, people were already lined up at the South Wing of the Kentucky Expo Center in Louisville.
“You got to be here before everybody else,” applicant Clayton Schmuckie said.
He said he is looking for a temporary job at this year’s Kentucky State Fair. He said he learned his lesson two years ago and This year Schmuckie got to the Expo Center at 5:30 a.m.
“I didn’t get a job because I came out too late,” Schmuckie said. “I came out here about 9 a.m. and they had everything filled.”
By 9:30 Monday morning, nearly 350 people filled out applications. In all, about 750 people will be needed.
Glenn Bright said he is hoping to be one of those hired. He traveled nearly 35 minutes by bus and foot to get to the Expo Center from 12th Street. Bright said he could use the extra cash to help pay some bills.
Bonnie Miller said it will help her with extra finances, considering she is on a fixed income.
“This is like my Christmas money,” Miller said.
Christmas money Miller said she is already thinking about for her five grandkids and one grandson.
Job applicants must be 18 years or older and have proper identification. People will continue to be hired until the 750 positions are filled or by the end of the fair, which is from August 15-25. Wages for the positions start at $7.25 per hour.
Kentucky Exposition Center, South Wing C
- Monday, August 5 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 6 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 7 – Friday, August 9 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Employment Trailer, Gate 4 of the Kentucky Exposition Center off Crittenden Drive
- Saturday, August 10 – Monday, August 12 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 13 6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 14 – Thursday, August 15 6:00 a.m. – Midnight
- Friday, August 16 6:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday, August 17 6:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- Sunday, August 18 – Friday, August 23 6:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday, August 24 6:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- Sunday, August 25 6:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
For additional information, call the Employment Office at (502) 367-5235 or click here.