Herbert Lee released from jail again


by Claudia Coffey


Posted on November 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Updated Wednesday, Nov 27 at 7:23 PM

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) -- A Louisville man that led police on a high speed police chase and led to the death of four teens is released from jail, again.

Herbert Lee was released from jail just last week after serving time for stealing a rental car in 2012.

The father of one of the crash victims says he hopes Lee has finally turned his life around.

"I was talking about how good God was and I looked around and Herbert Lee comes through the door," Frank Shields, victim’s father, said.

Frank Shields recalls how the man that killed his son, Aaron, and four other teens just walked into the store where he works off Dixie Highway just two days ago.

He knew Lee was out of jail but didn't expect this chance meeting.

"He doesn't try to recognize me. He tries to look away. Then I reached out and hollered at him, ‘Herbert Lee!’ And he looked around and I said ‘how you doing?’," Shields said.

The arrest in 2012 came just months after he walked out of a juvenile detention center after being convicted of manslaughter, after he crashed a stolen car while fleeing from police in December of 2008.

His friends Damar, Jamar and Marc Claybrook and Aaron Shields all died in the crash.

They were riding home with Lee from a Youth Alive Christmas Party.

A memorial was dedicated for the four victims. It's actually at the very spot where the crash happened at Woodland and Cypress.

For Frank Shields, he says sometimes it feels like it just happened yesterday. This will be his fourth Thanksgiving without Aaron.

Shields says it took him a long time to let go of the hurt that Lee caused. This week he says he offered Lee his support and a little advice.

"We been praying for you cause we need you as the family to stay strong and do the right thing because if you don’t you gonna get what you keep on getting,“ Shields said.

He hopes Lee will take this latest chance at freedom as a true blessing this Thanksgiving and follow through on the promises he made to the victims' families.

Lee will be on supervised probation over the next eight months.