(WHAS11) -- This month, GE kicked off “Freshpedition,” a web series where they put one of their new French door refrigerators to the test.
Shot like reality television, the commercial and webisodes follow a GE French door refrigerator and generator tethered to a pickup truck on a road trip from Louisville to Texas. The crew takes fresh food to wildlife biologist Ron Thompson in the field, where he lives primarily on canned food for months on end. Chef Ben Sargent of Hook, Line and Dinner on the Cooking Channel and GE engineer Justin Berger stop at locally owned and operated alligator farms, ranches, farmer stands, and a dairy stands to pick up the freshest food around the country to prepare a surprise fresh meal for the wildlife biologist.
The campaign includes television, digital, webisodes, and content on www.freshpedition.com. The first stop for the new web series was at Gagel Truck Farm in Louisville. Owner George Gagel says GE initially contacted his distributor looking for local growers to feature.
“They contacted us in early April and came out to survey the place,” said Gagel. In May, the Freshpedition crew showed up to his farm.
“They had the refrigerator in the back of the truck strapped down,” said Gagel. The group stopped by Gagel’s to pick up some fresh Bibb lettuce. It’s a product Gagel says they’ve sold to presidents and the queen, and he says they are the only grower left with the original seed. While the web series just kicked off, Gagel says he’s heard his lettuce was a hit.
“They fell in love with it, and said it was as good when they put it in the refrigerator as when they took it out,” said Gagel.
The refrigerators offer the most advanced ice and water technology on the market today, including industry-first features such as Hands-free Autofill and a hot water dispenser. The refrigerators' TwinChill™ evaporators and temperature-controlled drawer can keep foods fresher longer.
Freshpedition stops for fresh food include:
· Gagel Truck Farm (Louisville, Ky.) – Bibb lettuce
· Fox Hollow (Crestwood, Ky.) – Eggs
· AA Farm Creamery (Millbrook, Ala.) – Goat cheese
· Todd's Produce (Verbena, Ala.) – Peaches and peach ice cream
· Crawfish Crazy (Covington, Louisiana) – Crawfish
· Wall's Alligator Farm (Springfield, Louisiana) – Alligator meat
· French Market Crawfish & Seafood (Mandeville, Louisiana) – Red snapper
· Boggy Creek Farm (Austin, Texas) – Vegetables
· Taylor Longhorn Ranch (Fredericksburg, Texas) – Ground beef
The journey will be documented at www.freshpedition.com. The tale will be told through five webisodes and freshpedition.com will also include:
· Tweets, Facebook posts, and Instagram photos from the road from Chef Ben and Justin
· A timeline and map of the journey
· Recipes from Chef Ben
· Links to French door refrigerator information pages and a 3D product gallery
· Sweepstakes to win a new refrigerator through a Pinterest campaign
GE is also having a “Where’s Ron” sweepstakes. One lucky winner who guesses where Ron is located will win a GE Profile™ French door refrigerator. GE is giving away a $100 Visa Prepaid gift card to one lucky winner every day from June 15 through June 24, 2012. Consumers can visit the site daily to guess where Ron is and enter for a chance to win!
SEE OFFICIAL RULES FOR DETAILS: