LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) – Louisville Fire & Rescue crews said the cause of a residential fire in the 1700 block of West Kentucky Street appears to be accidental.
Crews said they found heavy fire coming from a two-story frame single family dwelling upon their arrival at around 11:11 a.m. on May 7. Firefighters made entry and confined the fire to the building of origin. The main fire building was heavily damaged.
One adjacent home suffered minor damage to its exterior. A family of four was at home at the time in the adjacent structure, they got out on their own prior to the firefighters arrival.
PHOTOS: computer OR mobile
It took 28 firefighters 30 minutes to control the fire. The homeowner, who was doing rehabilitation work to vacant building when the fire broke out, was transported to University of Louisville Hospital with smoke inhalation. The homeowner is expected to be OK.
Lou. Fire & Rescue said no occupants will be displaced from their home. According to the homeowner, he was using a grinder to cut through some metal pipes on the second floor. The grinder was being powered by a gas generator.
Officials said no foul play is suspected. Louisville Metro Arson is currently investigating the scene to determine whether the generator was a factor.