TURNER STATION, Ky. (WHAS11) – A community is coming together after a fatal fire claims the life of a mother.
Families are sifting through what is left of their homes.
The fire happened south of Carrollton at Turner's Station.
Wendy Mercer, her fiancé, William Kelly, and their 4-month-old son managed to make it out, but Mercer went back inside to retrieve diapers and bottles and never returned.
On Tues., Dec. 3, Wilma Lindsey, Kelly's mother, held her grandson and said she knows the future is going to be tough but family and friends are helping.
"This baby has no mother, which is the bad part. But right now, the community has come together. We've got baby clothes and stuff for the baby," she said.
Lindsey said for now she is caring for the son because Mercer's fiancé is still in shock by what happened.
No official cause has been released for the fire but a space heater is one possible culprit.