Families of Campbellsville 'ice bucket' firefighter victims talk progress


by Bryan Shaw


Posted on August 28, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Updated Thursday, Aug 28 at 6:28 PM

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) – A week after an ice bucket challenge gone wrong, that sent four Campbellsville firefighters to the hospital, there is an update from the families of Captain Tony Grider and Simon Quinn who are still recovering at University Hospital.

“I know that Tony would say that yes this tragedy happened but risk comes with life and I have no doubt that when he is better he will be back up and doing it again because that is who is he is.  He would be overwhelmed and grateful and just thankful for everything that everyone has done for us.” Gena Grider, the wife of Tony, said.

Tony Grider is still in critical condition and in a medically induced coma. 

Gena said she has been staying with a cousin that lives nearby when she needs to leave the hospital and get some sleep.  Her two oldest daughters have been caring for her two younger sons while she has been away.

Simon Quinn does not remember what happened but is now up, walking, eating and in good spirits.  He had lasagna the other day and told his mom he is most looking forward to a meat lover’s pizza when he gets out.

Given the improving condition of Simon, Holly has been able to go back home and work.

“I am overwhelmed with the support they have given toward the family whether it has been food, shirts, socks, stuff that you normally wouldn’t think about.” Holly Quinn, Simon Quinn’s mother, said.

Gena Grider said she can’t even pay for her own soda and that nothing she can say can describe how awesome the support has been.

Gena Grider said that the firefighters are Tony Grider's family and that being a firefighter means so much to him.

“He loved his job; His one goal in life was to help people.  He risked his life everyday to go in to help, or if needed, to save people. He would want you all to know that.” Tammy Grider, the sister of Tony, said.