Adult, child released from hospital after cistern rescue


by WHAS11

Posted on September 12, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Updated Wednesday, Nov 20 at 5:21 PM

Sinkhole rescue at Lou. park

View larger map

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) – Emergency crews rescued a 2-year-old female, Myahana Moore, and Terrance Washington, 46, from an abandoned cistern in the 3620 block of Southern Avenue in Russell Lee Park Thursday night.

Download WHAS11 News app: iPhone | Android

Salvador Melendez with Louisville Fire says the hole is an abandoned cistern that’s 14 feet deep.  

Melendez says Louisville fire arrived at the scene to find a rescuer had fallen into the hole after attempting to rescue Moore.  Washington is a football coach and he was at the park when Moore fell into the hole.

Click one of the following for images from the scene: MOBILE or COMPUTER

The 2-year-old was rescued by Louisville Fire’s confined space team.  She was rescued first at 8:44 p.m. That is about an hour after crews were called to the scene.  Washington was rescued 14 minutes later at 8:55 p.m.  

Both had no visible or physical injuries.  They were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. 

Washington went to University Hospital and Moore to Kosair.  Both have been released.

According to an eyewitness at the scene the child fell into the hole in the football field and the adult went in after the child. Usually there are cones around it, but for some reason they weren't there tonight.

Coaches of Louisville Youth League asked the city to cover this hole after a child fell in on Tuesday, Sept. 10. A coach says all that stopped the child from falling all the way in the hole on Tuesday was his shoulder pads.

Assistant Parks Director Marty Storch was at the scene with his team. He described the hole as about 24 inches in diameter. They've also found at least one other depression. And they're roping those areas off. A lot of departments responded to this incident including firefighters, parks officials and there were also Metro sewer officials.

The park will remain closed until further notice. An LMPD officer will be stationed here overnight. Parks officials will be back out here at 9 a.m. with cameras they'll putting down into the hole to try to get some answers.