Cigarette may have ignited house fire

Print
Email
|

by WHAS11

WHAS11.com

Posted on September 1, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Updated Sunday, Sep 1 at 10:16 PM

(WHAS11) -- Firefighters were called out around 1:15 a.m. Sunday  morning to the 2200 block of Wilson Ave. to a fire that destroyed about half of a home.

Fire officials believe the fire was started by a discarded cigarette that reignited after the homeowner fell asleep.

Maj. Jason Brandt with the Louisville Fire Department said, "We did have heavy fire throughout more than half of the building. This family that lives here is going to need assistance from the Red Cross."

Officials evacuated the home and the person next door as a precautionary measure. No one was injured in the fire, but the home was heavily damaged.

Print
Email
|