Camm Murder Case: 10 years later

Print
Email
|

by Kelsey Starks

WHAS11.com

Posted on September 28, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Updated Thursday, Mar 13 at 12:12 PM

(WHAS11) - It was 10 years ago when David Camm placed a frantic phone call to Indiana State Police.

“Get everybody out to my house now!  My wife and kids are dead!” he said in a phone call to police September 28, 2000.

Kim Camm and her two children, Bradley, 7, and Jill, 5, were found murdered in the garage of their Georgetown, Indiana home.

Since then, Kim’s husband and the children’s father, David Camm, has been convicted twice of being their killer.  Twice, that conviction has been overturned on appeal.  Right now Camm, 45, remains in prison awaiting his third murder trial.  A decade later, the case is still not closed.

An attorney for Kim Camm’s family says the family will mark the 10-year- anniversary of the murders in a private gathering.   Floyd County prosecutor Keith Henderson says they are disappointed the case still isn’t closed.

“That nightmare has re-opened for them,” he said in June, when Camm’s second conviction was overturned on appeal.

The high-profile murder case involving the former Indiana State trooper has garnered national media attention in the past decade.  A 2005 book called “One Deadly Night” and a 48-hours television special have both profiled the case.

The biggest bombshell came in 2005 when Charles Boney was charged with Camm in the murders.  He was convicted and is currently serving a 225 year sentence.  David Camm's family still believes that Boney was the only killer; they are looking at a third trial as a chance for David to be free.

"I know one thing, I know Dave Camm is innocent, I know that,” said Sam Lockhart, David Camm’s uncle.  “Hopefully they will see what I know already that he is innocent and he needs to be set free."

Camm’s defense attorneys are calling for Floyd County Prosecutor Henderson to be thrown off the case.  They argue he has a conflict of interest because of a book deal to write about the trials.  Henderson says he called off that deal when the second conviction was overturned.  A judge will hear arguments about that at the next hearing November 24th.  No date has been set for the third trial.

For more WHAS11 coverage on the David Camm trial, click here.


 

 

Print
Email
|