Louisville 'Be the Match' drive inspired by young girl

Print
Email
|

by Rachel Platt

WHAS11.com

Posted on September 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Updated Thursday, Sep 13 at 5:00 PM

(WHAS11) -- A program called "Be the Match" is getting a boost thanks to the University of Louisville and a local girl named Addison. ABC's Robin Roberts has championed the cause after needing a bone marrow transplant herself.
 
Locally, at UofL's student activities center people were lining up to see if they could be the match. A simple cheek swab to see if they could help someone who needs a bone marrow or stem cell transplant.
 
UofL employees, students and even athletes came out to help.
 
Robin Roberts found her perfect match with her sister but it normally works that way only 30 percent of the time. The other 70 percent of people in need find their donors through drives.
 
It's how 11-month-old Addision Lynn Miles who has leukemia found hers. Her story inspired the most recent drive. Addison's great uncle, a UofL alum, ran into president James Ramsey buying mulch and their discussion about the little girl  led to action
 
Addison's match was a 24-year-old man who went through this same donor process. They don’t know much about him except that he saved her life.
 
The donor drive is the family's way of paying it forward hoping to help save another life.
 
Addison has bee at Kosair for over 50 days. Her grandfather is praying she will be home soon. Click here for more information about becoming a donor.
 

Print
Email
|