Baby taken off life support after receiving massive injuries


by Adam Walser

Posted on November 29, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Updated Monday, Nov 30 at 12:40 AM

 A family has chosen to discontinue life support for a 1-year-old boy who doctors believe was badly beaten earlier this week.

There are lots of unanswered questions tonight regarding how little Antoine Dixon Jr. ended up at Kosair Children's Hospital.

Sunday night family gathered around to say goodbye to a boy who only spent a year on this earth.

A picture from Alicia Dailey's MySpace page shows the day she welcomed Antoine Dixon Jr. into the world.

Dailey held him in her arms and said goodbye Sunday after life support machines were disconnected.
“He's sick. He has bruises. We know he has bruises. His organs weren't functioning,” said Victoria Gerton who is friends with Dailey.

She was with her at Kosair Children's Hospital when the difficult decision was carried out.

Family members tell us little Antoine was brought to Kosair Wednesday after employees at the Little People's Daycare Center found him unresponsive.

He had been dropped off by his mother a short time before.

At Kosair, family members say doctors determined Antoine suffered injuries consistent with being severely beaten and shaken.

Gerton finds it difficult to believe her friend could have been involved.

“I've been there. I've been around Antoine since he was born. He's never been beaten and I know it's bad to say be that's her favorite. He's spoiled. He doesn’t get whoopings. I've never even seen him get a pat on the butt,” said Gerton.

Family members have told us that they've learned investigators have interviewed employees at the daycare center and have even looked at surveillance video from around the time that the boy was brought to the hospital.

We were unable to reach anyone at the daycare for comment Sunday.

We were also told that investigators have spoken to the boy’s mother and other witnesses but have not yet made any arrests.

“LMPD, I feel that's who's gonna decide what was done wrong. Until then, there should be no blame on the mother. There should be no blame on anybody,” Gerton said.

While that investigation will continue Monday, this night was about saying goodbye to a little boy who arrived such a short time ago.

We contacted a police spokesperson, but he had no information about the status of that investigation.

When we last talked to family members not long ago, little Antoine was still breathing and resting in his mother's arms.